Friday, July 01, 2005

Update from Virginia

WOOOOOT!!! (<-- always a good sound to hear) I am in Virginia, but I have sucessfully managed to ssh to wardrobe AND get the project mickey pages to display on my browser. MAJOR break through. Thanks for the instructions Dr. Iba :-) I've done a bit of blog maintenance, switching things around so that both of my research blogs can be accessed through my profile --> I'll be keeping this blog up as I continue on Project Mickey--not so much as a formal scientific logbook, but as a place to record my progress, thoughts, frustrations, questions, etc.

I don't guarantee that I will finish this quickly (given that I have a lot to work on with the internship here) but I feel bad that I wasn't able to finish it in time, so I'm going to try to work on it at least some (especially since I have the whole weekend ahead of me). The problem is, even if I finish the web pages, there will need to be some major data entry before it could be used. In order to enter a reading or anything, the code goes and searches for the mouse in its database. If it doesn't find it, then the reading can't really be entered. Not only does each mouse need to be entered into the mice table, but since the code searches for it based on its current cage, all of the cage transfers for the mice are going to need to be entered also. I know that some information was added by Julia last year, but I'm not sure how to add it to this new database given the new schema. NOT a pretty problem :-(

Once I get the code done, and especially when the database is up and running, a bit of code will need to be added so that every entry into the database is logged in a text file. That way if anything happens, we can rebuild the database easily. Especially since yours truly can go in and seriously mess things up in only a few key strokes. the power of the password...

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of new data has been added. I think there are over 400 mice entered. The "transfers" table is still the missing link. We need to create a function that finds a mouse-id but takes into account possible transfers in process.

My research with Josh is ending after next week and Eileen and I are planning to do additional data anlaysis and I might finish the interface myself. (We'll see how much time I need preparing for classes, writing my review case, etc.)

--wfi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home